Take the Pledge

Posted January 8th, 2010 by admin and filed in Donor Stories

What does it mean to join the Be The Match Registry®? When you become a registry member, you make a life-saving commitment.

My Life-Saving Pledge
As a Member of the Be The Match Registry

I understand that:

• By joining the registry, I am saying I am willing to donate to any patient in need.
  • The cheek swab or blood sample I gave when I joined was only used to add me to the registry. It was not a donation for a patient.
  • I will be listed on the registry until I am 61, unless I inform Be The Match that I’m unwilling or unable to donate.

If I match a patient:

• I will respond quickly.
  • I will be asked to give a blood sample for further testing.
  • I will be asked to make a time commitment of up to 30 to 40 hours over a 4- to 6-week period to attend appointments and donate.
  • If I donate peripheral blood stem cells (PBSC), I will receive injections of a drug to increase the number of blood-forming cells in my bloodstream.
  • If I donate marrow, anesthesia will be used.

I promise to:

101 Responses to “Take the Pledge”

1. Steve Barnett says:

When I gave my cheek swab sample it was because my sisters brother in law had luikemia. And I understood then that if it wasn’t a match that anyone else who needed what I have can have it if it has the possibility of saving a life.
    Thanks
    Steve

2. Karen Wenzel says:

My husband and I joined the Marrow Registry in 1997 during a marrow drive for a young boy near our home. I was contacted in 2008 that I was a possible match for someone, but a better match was found. On Sept 21, 2009 our daughter was diagnosed with Leukemia. She is now in need of a BMT… We pray that there is someone on the Registry that will be able to save her life..
    You never know when it may “hit home”…

3. Cindy Bodda says:

In 2001 my brother needed a kidney transplant unfortunatly I was not a candidate but my sister was and the transplant was a sucess. I wanted to do more to pass life on. At my next regular blood donation I saw the brochure for blood marrow registry. I didn’t sign up right away but after some reflection, I decided that this was the best way that I could save another life. The best decision I have ever made. I look forward to the day the phone rings so I can “pay it forward” for my sisters unselfish sacrifice for our family.

4. Brenda says:

I joined after 2 close incidents occurred. A dear friend was diagnosed with Leukemia and potentially could have needed a bone marrow transplant (thankfully she has not). Shortly afterwards, a friend of a friend required a bone marrow transplant and I immediately signed up. (They did find a match.) Even though I haven’t been called upon yet, I remain ever hopeful I can help someone. In the meantime, I donate platelets and it feels oh so good to help in any way I can.

5. Sam Hopkins says:

I joined when a friend was diagnosed with leukemia knowing that even though I probably could not help her, I could help someone. In 2009 I was matched to someone who needed a life saving marrow transplant. I was able to donate to save this individual’s life, it has been one of the most rewarding experiences of my life and I feel honored to have been able to do this.

6. Phyllis Neu says:

I am so bummed. I joined the Registry about 25 years ago and will turn 61 in March. I have never been called and I’m really sad because I wanted so badly to be able to do this for someone! Only 65 more days of eligibility – COME ON, SOMEBOY, BE MY MATCH!!!

• Bri says:

Wow that is a long time! I hope I’m called, and its only been 2 years..Even though you may not be a match for someone now, it should be very fulfilling that you were so kind as to join. We need more people like you on this planet : )

• Pam says:

If you never match someone you can still tell others about how important it is they register to be a donor and just maybe they will end up being that one life saving match for someone. So if you are never a match you just may find a match for someone. I meet so many people who have never heard of Be the Match foundation and stem cell donations. Spread the word!!!!!

• Pam T says:

God bless you for making yourself available all those years!

• Anita says:

Hi, Phyllis! I have also been on The Registry for around 25 years. I’m 58 and have only been called once…didn’t get to donate, however. The little girl passed away before they could determine my donation match eligibility. I echo your call… COME ON SOMEBODY, BE MY MATCH!!

7. Karrie Rae McGuirk says:

I’m ready and willing to help. Karrie Rae

8. Jeri Jacob says:

I donated in 1999 and would do it again in a heart beat!

9. s woods says:

I joined about 20+ years ago. About two years ago I was a close call for a 16 year old girl and was eager to help. They went some other route as I didnt hear back.

10. Deb says:

I joined when a young girl in our community needed marrow knowing I’d never match. I did, however, match a woman in Germany who lived for 8 years after the donation. This person I never met, never will meet, was still so important in my life that I teared up when I heard she had died. The message from her family thanking me for the donation, thanking me for those extra years,created a spiritual bridge with them too. I’m so glad I could help. (PS Our little girl found her donor and is doing fine!)

11. Phil Bowman says:

I joined 20 plus years ago and have been disappointed that I haven’t been contacted to donate and can’t wait for the call to help. That must sound somewhat morbid I suppose because I understand the procedure is somewhat painful but I really don’t care, I would just like to be able to help someone in need. One day…

12. Dee says:

My typing buddy in high school became a wonderful friend. Sadly, he lost his life to Leukemia the December after he graduated. A year older than him, I pledged to do what I could, so I donated blood and signed up for the donor registry while in college.
    Freddie was 18. In his memory I pledge to help save another life from being cut short, if I am able.

13. Jayne says:

I joined the registry AFTER losing my youngest brother to lymphoma non-hodkins disease and my twin brother to lung/bone cancer in 2009. Both were diagnosed stage IV. We need to raise awareness of cancer in general, the symptoms are often confused with other minor illnesses and are too often ignored. I was tested as possible donor match for my youngest brother w/lymphoma, I didn’t match, however; he was fortunate to quickly find a match at the donor registry. He was one that didn’t survive, I can’t help but think if we would have caught it earlier, maybe.. just maybe. Although I couldn’t save either of my brothers, maybe I can save yours, or maybe your husband or daughter, or neighbor. WE CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE!!

14. Aaron Booker says:

I am looking forward to donating. It seems like such a small price to pay to save a life.

15. Shannon says:

I never met my uncle because he died of leukemia when he was only 5. I then lost a college roommate to cancer. I HATE cancer and this is just my way to maybe help someone out.

16. Matthew D. Murphy says:

I joined because I work with has a little boy that has Leukimia and that brought it really close to home since I have children.

17. MariClare Gaidsick says:

I joined as soon as I turned 18,that was 17 years ago. I have had 5 friends needing a BMT, some where successful, other unfortunately were not. I strengthened my resolve when, 2 years ago tomorrow, my father received a double lung transplant. I am more than willing at any point to donate anything that I can. We thank our donor’s family everyday in our prayers, as they continue to wish to be anonomous. Their act of selflessness is truly wonderful.

18. Sonya Jennings says:

I joined the registry when my son was receiving treatment for bone cancer. He was 4 yrs old. He survived and I was on the registry for 20 yrs before I was a perfect match to help a man with leukemia. He was given 3 mos to live when he was diagnosed….and now it has been 5 yrs since he received my stem cells and he is doing great!!! What a blessing we have been to each others lives! I would do it again w/o hesitation!

19. I always feel the need to help people that are really in need of help. I joined the registry in 1993. Unfortunately I haven’t been a match but I feel better knowing I was there if by chance that one person did need my help. Now even more this registry is in need my cousins husband has been looking for a match for about 4 years. The perfect match is hard but the more that join the better the chance.

20. Marilyn Brown says:

I didn’t realize that I was out of the running when I turned 61. I will soon be 59. Doesn’t seem long enough, somehow.

21. Lisa Cleven says:

I joined in 2004 because of no other reason then to help someone else live their life to the fullest.

22. Jon Cross says:

I believe helping someone else in need to be my responsibility to this life and not an option

23. I am signed up to donate bone marrow. How much does it hurt?

• Dawn says:

Jordan Allen says: I just donated a week ago today. All-in-all…..painless! There is no reason anyone should not do this. The only sacrifice is time. Please help those in need. It could be any one of us at any given time.

24. Dianne Stagner says:

If I can help save someone’s life or even extend it for them, I consider it a blessing to be used by God in this way.

25. Tracy says:

Just like another commenter here, I registered nearly 20 years ago—and like Phyllis, I am slightly dumbfounded that this resource has been wasted. Never been called.
    As Phyllis faces the 61 yr old guideline, I am now in my 40s and wondering if registering helped anyone at all??
    It would be great if these bone marrow newsletters provided contact info for the organization….they definitely want my info, but it’s not reciprocal for simple questions and answers….

• Pam says:

Do just wait for that phone call tell other that you are registered and how important it is that they register too. I meet so many people who have never heard of Be the Match foundation or the importants of stem cell donation. You may never have a match but you may just be the one who finds a match for somone. If I am only a match for one person in this world I pray they never get cancer. It’s not that I am unwilling to donate I just hope that the person I would match never has to deal with the wickness of cancer. So spread the word everyday http://WWW.BETHEMATCH.com

26. Stacy Thieszen says:

Tracy, I work with Be The Match, and I wanted to respond to your comment. Please don’t feel your time on the registry has been wasted. You never know when you could be the best match for a patient. If someone should need you, you’re there! That’s what gives patients hope, and that matters, even if you never turn out to be the best match for someone in need.
    And we are always happy to answer your questions. You can find our phone number at the bottom of the e-newsletter (maybe we should make that easier to find). Or see https://www.marrow-donor.org/CONTACT/index.html. Or if you use Twitter, you can send us questions at @BeTheMatch.

27. karinsocal@yahoo.com says:

I WANT to help!

28. Chrissy says:

I joined the bone marrow program just shortly before my friend passed away due to complications with Pre B Lymphocytic Leukemia. Unfortunately he never got a chance to get his bone marrow transplant. I wanted to give everyone that needs a transplant one more chance of a match and I continue to encourage everyone that has not joined to go and sign up?

29. terri stover says:

i committ.

30. Michelle Mundt says:

I hope to be able to make a differnce in someone’s life.

31. Gilbert A. Hidalgo says:

I joined the Registry in 1995. I actually thought maybe my info had been misplaced somehow because I had not been contacted at all. In August of 2009 I was contacted by the Registry and asked if I was still interested in being donor as I was a potential match for 30 year old male diagnosed with Leukemia. I did not hesitate to say yes! After a another round of blood tests and a physical exam I was told I was the match and on 6 Oct 09 I was given the honor and privilege of donating Peripheral Blood Stem Cells for this young man. I pray that all went well with the recipient and that the procedure was a success. I would not hesitate to do it again. If you are unsure of whether or not to place yourself on the Registry….do it! We need more potential donors! The opportunity to be able to save a life is totally awesome!

• Bobbie Payton says:

At this point, you should be able to ask your registry counselor for contact info. The waiting period is only a year. I have already found out about my recipient and know that she is doing well and lives in California with her 2 children. Good luck.

32. Deborah says:

Willing to give but never been called. My husband has multiple myeloma so I understand the importance. Waiting

33. J. Bates says:

I registered a number of years ago and was excited when I got the call about six months ago. I did all of the additional paperwork and never heard a word back. It would be helpful if the registery staff let you know that you are no longer a candidate for whomever they contact you on. I would like to help someone and will be there if they call again.

34. Margaret Grojean says:

My husband’s brother was diagnosed with Myelodysplasia-RAEB2 in December. My husband and another brother were tested as possible stem cell donors but they are not a match. My brother in law has had one round of chemo but the cancer is resistant and he has progressed to AML. I just sent in my test kit today. Although it is a long shot that I would match him, I know the importance of this registry. I am adopted an know that if I were ever to need a transplant, this registry would be my only hope. It would be great to be able to help my brother in law, but it would also to help anyone else in need.

35. karen Durrant says:

I am not allowed to donate blood so dont think i could do this either??

36. Jennifer says:

I’ve been on the list since 2000. Would donate in a heartbeat to help keep someone from going through what my dad did.

37. Heather says:

Thank you so much to all that have registered to be a match. Don’t ever think it’s been a waste. My husband needed a bone marrow transplant 6 years ago due to severe aplastic anemia. He was fortunate to have 2 “perfect 10″ matches. This made him able to have less graft versus host issues by having the best of two donors. We will be forever grateful to his donor. He would have died without it and I would have been left to raise 3 boys under the age of three on my own. Your potential gift of life is incredible, unselfish and priceless to me! My husband is alive and well because a 17 year old boy signed up to be a donor.

38. SHERYL says:

I took the pledge 15 years ago and recently came up as a potential match for a 13 year old boy. Unfortunately, the process did not go any further, but do hope and pray that this young man has been successful in obtaining to live his life in the best way possible. The greatest gift that I could ever hand someone, would be this. I only have 4 more years that I can remain on the registry, so I hope and pray that I am called on again.

39. Tracy says:

this pledge is SO important. I have a 2 year old that was scheduled on March 28th for a life saving transplant and his donor (through this registry) backed out on March 22nd. Of course, because of the anonymity, we get no information as to why someone would do this last minute after months of commitment. We, fortunately, have another match, not as good as the first, which makes it that much more dangerous for my 2 yo. Hoping that those of you who join do take this VERY seriously.

• Gayle Deas says:

I am praying for you and your family. Trust in the LORD.

• Stephanie says:

I am so sorry! It blows my mind that someone would do that, especially knowing that he was a little child. I am praying for your son, and for you. God bless you!

40. Ashlee says:

I joined simply because it was the right thing to do.

41. Gayle Deas says:

I joined after losing my husband to Non Hodgkins Lymphoma 14 years ago. Although he was not a candidate for a BMT, he did received many platelet transfusions. I have not been called, but am ready to go when/if I am. In the meantime, I give platelets regularly. I will do anything to help a family not go through what I and my daughter, then 16, endured. And I lost her, my only child, 3 years ago. I hope that I have the opportunity to help a family. I will be 61 in less than 3 more years. Regardless, I will continue giving platelets. G-d Bless each donor and each recipient. 1John 3:16

42. Carol says:

I gave a blood sample at a drive for a child I had never met. I had recently given birth to my first child and couldn’t imagine the possibility of losing him! If I can help to save someone else’s child, I’m there 100%! How amazing would it be to get the call?! It’s been 10 years or more now, I’m still waiting! and keeping my contact infomation current! Could you be the match?

43. Rebecca says:

I teach Epidemiology at a high school in NJ. The service project they chose was a registry drive. It’s tomorrow and we are so excited to become part of the registry!

44. Martinei says:

I joined because my little sister (32) was diagnosed with leukemia and went through more than I could have endured. There was a donor there already contacted and waiting to do her transplant, but God had others ideas for her and decided he wanted her to join him in Heaven. I have always wanted to do more to help and couldn’t then for her but maybe I can help a family the way someone was willing to help ours.

45. Kim says:

An unrelated donor saved my Dad’s life, so I would LOVE to “pay it forward” and be a match for someone!!!

46. Lorraine says:

I joined the registry in January 1999. I have never been contacted. Hopefully, I am a match for someone out there.

47. Anna says:

I joined because perfect strangers saved my son’s life with donations of their blood while my son lived in the NICU. I regularly donate blood and am a proud member of the bone marrow registry!

48. James says:

I joined earlier this year after having donated almost 3 gallons of blood during my lifetime. I remembered a local newscaster who had donated marrow, and her example had been percolating in the back of my mind for a couple of years before I joined. She also showed on live air photos of the bruising, which seems like a very small price to pay for such a valuable gift. I have lost a grandmother and an uncle to lymphoma in the last couple of years. While theirs was caught far too late, I will be ready and have a song in my heart if I am called upon.

49. Paula says:

I’m only one person. As much as I’d love to be able to single-handedly make the world a better place, I can’t. However, I can save many, many lives, which is one of the easiest things you can do, if you donate blood regularly, and join the Be the Match registry.

• Stephanie Condron says:

I think everyone has the ability to make the world a better place, no matter if they’re just one person or not. You being a part of this world, willing to donate blood and bone marrow, could quite possibly change someone’s world. :)

50. Karin Jones says:

Still waiting to hear back from Be the Match about my contact information. I joined MANY years ago, never got a card, don’t know my member number, so I cannot update my contact information. What it pity, as if you need me, you cannot find me!

Karin, please call Be The Match at 800-627-7692 so we can locate your member record and update it.
      I’m so sorry to hear you’ve been waiting for a response from us.

51. Allison Delong says:

I’ve been on the registry for about 5 years and haven’t gotten a call yet. I hear it’s much easier to donate than it used to be so I hope those who hesitate due to fear of pain will reconsider and go for it. How many opportunities do any of us get to save a life? I’m working toward my 8-gallon blood donation pin, and hope I one day get to donate marrow also. A reminder to all that a wider range of racial / ethnic backgrounds is needed in the registry to increase the chances that everyone in need can find a match.

52. Lauren says:

I joined after my daughter fell ill with Hemophagocytic Lymphohistiocytosis, a disease only cured by bone marrow transplant. We were incredibly fortunate, in that, her brother was a perfect match; however, I realized that others weren’t as lucky. I chose to join to possibly give someone another chance at life.

53. Cassie Winfrey says:

I joined to help save a life. My amazing sister, Sara passed away one week ago today (8/4/11) from Acute Myeloid Leukemia. Although Sara was never in remission long enough to receive a bone marrow transplant, the doctors were still searching the databases for a match and were unable to find one. Being a 36 year old white female you would think it would be easy to find a match out of the 16.5 million people on the donor registry, but for Sara there was not even 1. Every registry counts, you could be the one that save someones life half way around the world or even the child next door. I hope that I am given the opportunity to save a life.
    XOXOXOXO I LOVE YOU SARA XOXOXOXOXO

• Stephanie Condron says:

I am so sorry for your loss, Cassie. I have an amazing sister as well, and I cannot even begin to imagine the kind of heartbreak that you are going through. I will be praying for you and your family. God bless you!

54. K.J. Hinton says:

Just got confirmed on the list. Call me when you need me… I’m there.

55. Bbaranello says:

I joined during a blood drive many years ago. I must admit when I get mail from Be The Match I get a little nervous but if the time ever does come Ill be ready.

56. Julie Servantez says:

I joined Be The Match a year ago after my husband received a stem cell transplant from an unrelated donor. He had leukemia and this was our last hope. He had 6 living brothers and none of them was a match for him.
    The thought that there are people out there who would give a part of themselves to save another person’s life without any hesitation was pretty life changing for both of us….and I joined to “Pay it Forward” and hopefully I can be a life saver for some other person who needs help. I encourage everyone to consider joining Be The Match!!

57. Amanda says:

I joined Be The Match about a year ago. When I was 12 my sister was diagnosed with Leukemia and about a year and a half ago a little boy at a church by my home needed a BMT and I felt a strong urge to join hoping someday I will get a call that I am a match for someone.

58. Margaret Marston says:

When she was only 5 months old my granddaughter was diagnosed with leukemia (AML). That’s when I first found out about the Registry. I signed up immediately even though I knew I probably wouldn’t be a match for her. But I’m hopeful that maybe someday I’ll be a match for someone else’s child/grandchild. Please let everyone know about the Registry! Everyone deserves a match!

59. Jessica says:

I joined the registry when one of our girl scouts was diagnosed with aml leukemia and eventually needed a bone marrow transplant. Our community held a blood drive and a bone marrow registry and we were lucky to have 51 people register. Luckily Lexi found her match and got her new bone marrow and although she has had a relapse the donor has really helped her and has given us all hope. Join the match and save a life!!!

60. Elizabeth Brockway says:

When I joined the bone marrow registry in the spring of 2005 I made a commitment to be there in case anyone needed me, but my commitment started long before 2005. My commitment started before I was born, a month before my parents wedding, when my grandfather was diagnosed with lung cancer. He may have died eleven days after their wedding, and never had a chance, but there are many who do. I never got the chance to know him except through stories from my dad and a letter he wrote to his local newspaper at Christmas time. I feel closer to him when I help other people, whether it be through Be The Match, the red cross blood services, or other organizations because he liked to help others too. Even though he had little money himself, he still gave $1.50 to help others have a Christmas meal, and quoted Abe Lincoln’s story about not having shoes in his letter. It rings true to the saying “it’s not what you give that matters, it’s the gift of giving itself” and how could I not be thankful for my health by using it to help those who are less fortunate? If I can give anyone time with there family that I never had with my grandfather, I am only too happy to help. So thanks for allowing me to enrich others lives in such a simple and easy way.

61. judy says:

A few weeks ago, my neice’s sister in law donated her bone marrow to her sister. Her sister will be coming home cancer free from Texas. Isn’t it wonderful that we have this technology that can cure an incurable disease! I encourage all my friends to sign up for we never know when we will be the right match!

62. Bobbie Payton says:

I joined the registry in 2005, because of a friend that had cancer. In 2007 I was called because I was a match. I was fortunate enough to donate stem cells to someone on the west coast that had non-hodgkins lymphoma. The last update I got, she was doing well. I hope that I get called again.

63. Cindi Dixon says:

I joined 10+ years ago with the thought that if I were in the shoes of someone’ whose child needed a donation, I’d want everyone on the planet tested for a match!

64. Laura says:

My best friend and I became aunts within two days of each other. My little nephew is healthy, something I’m thankful for every day. Her little nephew was just diagnosed with HLH–and requires a marrow transplant. Talk about a cause hitting home!

65. Quynh says:

…because I work for the bone marrow transplant unit at Texas Children’s Hospital and I know the hardship and pain our patients endure. I can only hope to be as courageous as them and help save a life.

66. Sarah says:

I have watched many people in my life battle cancer, some successfully and some not. There is an overwhelming feeling of powerlessness that comes with watching someone literally fight for their life every day. When I heard the Be The Match radio spot pose the question “Would you be the one to save a life?” my response was strong and immediate. YES, I would and I will. I am waiting for the call!!!

67. Karen says:

Nineteen years ago, I donated kidney to my mother. I saw first hand how donation can help save a life! I then signed up for the bone marrow registry. While I have never been contacted, I am ready to donate if a match is ever found!

68. Angie says:

Last year my sister was diagnosed with ALL, she needed a bone marrow transplant but we could not find a full match. The doctors decided to try with mine, even though i was only a half match. After the transplant, a relapse and a TCell donation, she is remission now. I hope next time I am a 100% match :-)

69. Stephanie Condron says:

I joined 2 years ago because of an episode of Extreme Makeover: Home Edition I saw. I had heard of bone marrow donation before, but didn’t realize how life saving it can be. I was beyond inspired by the bravery a woman showed when she donated her marrow to a complete stranger, and I requested a kit that day. I am still holding my promise. If I am ever needed, I am more than happy and honored to be that light in someone’s life. I am also hoping to put a drive together this year to get more people to join. I live in a college town, with 4 schools, so I am hoping that more young people will take the pledge.

70. Brenda says:

Exactly a year ago, our world was turned upside down when my husband was diagnosed with AML. He received a peripheral stem cell transplant in June, due to the selfless decision of an unrelated donor. He is 7 months post-transplant, and he wouldn’t be here if not for this donor. I joined the minute I could, knowing that if the opportunity ever arises for me to be a donor, I will do it in a heartbeat, and provide someone else a second chance at life, just as my husband has been given! We still don’t know what the future holds for him, but the Lord does, and we have to trust daily that our lives are in His hands!! Thank you to Be The Match, keep on getting the word out there, this is an amazing organization!

71. Lisabeth says:

I joined in honor of my dear friend’s son, who was diagnosed with cancer when he was 2 years old. He’s 10 now, and doing great. I’ve since begun taking steps to devote my life to helping others live, not only by being part of the Registry, but working to become a certified EMT and on to becoming an RN. I do my best to spread the word and encourage others to join Be The Match too!

72. Hope says:

One year ago, some friends of ours shared some terrible news. Their one year old daughter, born just two weeks after my own, had been diagnosed with Severe Combined Immune Deficiency Syndrome, a genetic disorder in which the baby’s immune system does not function. A bone marrow transplant could save her life. Unfortunately, she was so sick that she could not get well enough for the transplant. She died weeks later. I hope someday I will get the chance to help someone in Samantha’s honor and in honor of her family, who suffered such a terrible loss.

73. Shawn says:

I joined because this life is to be spent giving and sharing with others. What a better way to touch another’s life. My wife joined several years ago and has already donated stem cells. I waited to join as my oldest son was hosting a donor drive for Eagle Scout project. I’ve known many over the last couple of decades that have fought battles and this is just the right thing to do.

74. Stephanie says:

I joined when I read about Be the Match on someone’s blog. The blogger’s friend was terribly sick and the blogger was encouraging people to register. I had no idea it existed and I might be able to help a sick person. I’ve lost a couple family members to cancer so I did in in remembrance of them.

75. amy hall says:

Ive read almost all of these storys and ive cried reading all of them. My father passed away from colon cancer and i know how it feels to have lost a love one.. i am going to register!!!

76. Alecia says:

I joined the registry after finding out my mom had AML and needed a donor to have a chance at life. For her, they had an extremely hard time finding an unrelated match because of her HLA and antibodies she had built up against others from platelet transfusions. Luckily, cord blood has less stringent matching criteria and my mom got her transplant 11 months after diagnosis–this past Friday. I chose to join the registry to hopefully give someone a chance at life. Also, I have to advocate the importance of considering donating cord blood–my mom’s only option.

Thank you to all who have joined for giving patients like my mom a treatment option!

77. Robin says:

I joined because when I was in college my calculus prof had the opportunity to donate marrow and save a little boy’s life and I remember thinking that she was the most heroic person I had met in my life up to that point.

78. Stephanie L. Pierce says:

I have been giving blood since I was 17 (I am now 47 years old). About ten years ago, I felt like I wasn’t doing enough to help someone so I joined the registry. I am patiently waiting to save someone’s life – then my life will be complete.

79. Tory E. says:

Hi. I have wanted to be a marrow donor for several years. I went to another organization; since I did not have $100 they said something the effect of “Have a nice day but, come back when you have the money”. I didn’t go back.

We have a boy in our area that was/is in need of a transplant. I went over and added my name and cheek swab to the list.

Another reason, for those of you that believe: Christ shed blood from ever pore to save all of us. I thought I can endure a needle to save just one.

80. Melissa S says:

I joined when a young woman my mother knew was in need of a transplant. She did not find her match and she died. I have stayed on the registry because I dont want someone else to die if I could be their match.

81. Pam T says:

I have joined to be able to touch a family’s life in a way that no other can do.

82. Paula says:

I joined through the C.W. Bill Young Department of Defense Bone Marrow Registry. I wanted to serve my country and my fellow citizens, in any way I could. A few months ago, I got the call, and was found to be a match for a patient with non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma. I am awaiting the next steps–and am wishing the best for the recipient, and think about her every day.

You, too, can make a difference in someone’s life–by giving the gift of life.

83. marie green says:

if i can help in ANYWAY i will..how do i sign up for this to be active????if i could save just one life its all worth while..xxx

84. Dessa Jarmon says:

Eight years ago I was close to death after an artery was nicked during surgery and I almost bled out. I was saved because two people donated blood. Because of them, I am alive and I now have three beautiful children. I wanted to give back somehow. My husband donates blood regularly, I decided this was my way. I hope some day I can give someone the gift of life, the same way two people gave it to me.

85. Christie says:

When I decided to register last winter it was because I thought that this was a good way to help someone who really needed it. Who knew that last week my mom would get AML so now I am hopeful that her treatment is a success and am grateful to all the potential matches out there who might be the one for her. She is my hero but everyone on the registry is a lifesaver.